Measurement Units, Standards and Services Department (MUSSD) was established in 1997 to implement the Measurement Units, Standards and Services Act No 35 of 1995. The department is the ancestor to the weight and measurement division of the department of Internal Trade which was established in 1952 to implement weight and measure ordinance No 37 of 1946. MUSSD is the national measurement body responsible for Scientific, Industrial and Legal measurements in Sri Lanka.
"Accurate and reliable measurements for well protected customer community".
"To establish, maintain & disseminate the national measurement standards in compliance with international standards, ensuring justice & equity for producers, traders, metrological & other service providers & consumers, through the regulatory & service activities based on measurements to uplift the quality of life and standards of Sri Lankans"
Role of MUSSD
MUSSD functions to establish maintain and disseminate the national measurement standards in compliance with international standards, ensuring justice & equity for producers, traders, metrological & other service providers & consumers, through the regulatory & service activities based on measurement to uplift the quality of life of Sri Lankan community.
MUSSD is responsible for maintain national standard of measurement and SI units and for realizing those units of measurement through the development and maintenance of standard of measurement, reference material and reference techniques.
- Establishment and maintenance of Scientific, Legal and Administrative structure, which is required to secure and ensure international recognition of national measurement system of Sri Lanka.
- Providing calibration facilities to testing/calibration laboratories.
- Providing calibration facilities to industry.
- Providing and maintenance of Sri Lanka Standard Time.
- Secure the accuracy of measuring instruments used in trade, environmental protection, regulatory activities etc. by mandatory verification system.
- Establishment of district basis verification centers, laboratories and verification of working standards
- Preliminary verification and re-verification of weights, measures, weighing and measuring equipment used in trade
- Legal control of manufacture, repair and sale of weighing and measuring instruments used in trade
- Pattern approval of weights, measures, weighing and measuring instrument used in trade and industry
- Protect consumer by taking legal action against personnel who violate the measurement law of the country (MUSS Act.No.35 of 1995).
- Testing pre packed commodities
- Consumer Education.